Big thanks to Núria for taking these notes down in the group crit!
– focus on memory but this time more personal
– identity built into a collective well of memory, knowledge that is being passed on
– collective memory from Diaspora context, growing an identity away from the context
– female focus.. portraiture and nature.. abstraction of form and shapes of memory…
– the plant dying and special, intimate, subtle, fragility , profound impact.
– future… going larger scale, lose control over mark-making
– m, sexual implications of the plant… with the female body
-k, more focused on a different kind of intimacy, more subtle… fragility and uncertainty of its life span
– m- it is hard to keep them alive… otherwise they dye. That fragility must be an intentional link
– liv— communication with mum and that is strong but then when you came back the idea was dying…. How does it link with your mum?
– k, idea of decay interesting… network being fragile and dying over time. want To depict the orchid death aesthetics? Like the creases..?
– liv, extremely fragile.. this uncertain dead no dead point
– k, my mum has her own tips on how to keep them alive…
– Mia, I really like the really smooth movement (water) along with really intricate details
– k, it was an experiment with oil anD, water, paint—— trying to see how it reacts. Cool depths. The patterns made reminded me of the orchids aesthetics too
– N ….
– k, torn in between using the alive one… my colour scheme kind of work for that… depressive
– H, excellent self reflection.. it’s common it happens and you have turned it into a positIve
– k, a shame I didn’t document when I was struggling with recall, sad about that because I realised that forgetting is also relevant.
– k, still not sure about what scale to do work on… small scale is also quite intimate
– N, in a small scale, intimacy and subtleness comes across better… but then again the “network” makes you think big scale….
– H, you should try both scales
– M, pale white orchids… what jumps out.. do both scales and use colours to draw it back to a specific memory.. bright fleshy colour to draw people. (???)
SOME NOTES MADE BY HELEN:
- Birthright – choices [made by our ancestor, which have created the people we are today]
- Control over mark-making – larger scale – drawing with extension stick and left/right hand
- Georgia O’Keefe’s work – symbolism and intimacy
- Delicacy of plants and nurturing – great comparison to human life
- Death of the orchid – profound – find a way of expressing the intimacy of this – documenting the plant’s death
- Scale – larger – power of work is subtle – small scale might be good